History of the Treatment of People with Mental Illness in Missouri

History of the Treatment of People with Mental Illness in Missouri

30 second preview
Purchase This Training:

DVD for $25
        (with an option for CEUs for an additional $15)
Web Training for $25
        (with cost of CEUs included)



This module will talk about early mental health care centers in the state of Missouri including State Hospital Number One in Fulton, the St. Louis County Insane Asylum, and the Saint Louis Hospital for Social Evils. The history of these hospitals, the treatments offered patients, and the management of people with mental illness as affected by social and medical movements form the core of this presentation.

Release Date:



60 minutes



Danny Wedding, PhD, MPH Danny Wedding, PhD, MPH joined the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine in 1991 as Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Missouri Institute of Mental Health (MIMH). His primary responsibility is the oversight of MIMH, which is a university research and policy center serving the mental health community in Missouri.Dr. Wedding was trained as a clinical psychologist at the University of Hawaii, and spent a postdoctoral year studying clinical neuropsychology and behavioral medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He later completed two years of postdoctoral training working as a Health Policy Fellow and Science Policy Fellow for the US Congress. The first year was spent working on the personal staff of Senator Tom Daschle; the second year was spent working for the Government Operations Committee in the House of Representatives.



The University of Missouri, Missouri Institute of Mental Health will be responsible for this program and will maintain a record of your continuing education credits earned. MIMH will award 1 clock hour or 1.2 contact hours (.1 CEU) for this program. MIMH credit will fulfill Clinical Social Work and Psychologist licensure requirements in the State of Missouri. Attendees with licensure from other states are responsible for seeking appropriate continuing education credit, from their respective boards for completing this program.

License information for Missouri residents: http://pr.mo.gov/professions.asp